As if to prove that I'm still alive (thank God, because surely I don't want to die) today I received the most unexpected of all proposals: a marriage proposal. It's unexpected because I'm only acquainted with the man, he's not my friend or boyfriend or anything like it. He' s the owner of a shop I visit everyday and he's married. I've got to confess I had quite a crush on him, sometime ago, but he never showed any interest or affection for me and he's married, so it was over before it began. However, lately he has been showing some very disturbing signs, talking about the houses and cars he has got, the holidays he spends in the tropics and about how tiresome a 20 years marriage can be. His wife is Indian, very nice to me all the time, and an excellent cook with outstanding and ingenious recipes I love to taste, although they are too spicy most of the time, which turns them into "not my kind of food"; and his son is a bright boy, the pride of his parents, for it's easy to see how much they care for him.
Now, this man told me today he's willing to start a new life with me, as soon as I want and on my own terms, because he found out that the dream of his life is to have a woman like me. At first I was so surprised I didn't know what to say, but after the shock I tried to reason and told him I'm too old, fat and ugly for any man in his right mind to want to marry me. Of course he said no, I'm the one, he had knew it for sometime but only found the courage to speak now, etc. He offered me a bottle of perfume and a Chinese fan, both of which I politely refused. And suddenly I was looking at him and asking myself why on Earth did I fall in love with this man ? Love works in mysterious ways, therefore the replies to its never ending questions are few. I don't hate him. In fact, I don't feel anything for him anymore. I believe that whatever I loved in him I'll love forever, but I had to say no to the proposal, simply because my heart is no longer there. I don't want him to feel embarrassed or humiliated, so I'll skip going to his shop till it all cools off. I'm sure he'll soon find someone else to show his affection to, or maybe he' ll stick to his family. Who knows? Anyway, that's none of my business. Life is strange and surprising, yes it is!
P.S. People show what they are made of when they're faced with a reality they don't like. Who would say his wify was indeed an impolite bitch? It happened they read this post, and she went after me in the street, calling me names and (guess what?) threatening me she would kill me with an AXE !!! These days this is all I hear, but the axe I've got to say it's new. It must be an Indian thing, maybe the one she uses to chop the meat she loves to spice and cook, the butcher. No more of that cooking for me, it's poison. Now, I ask you people, was it my fault the guy wants to take a walk from her? I begin to understand his reasons. So, why doesn't she threaten him instead ? There's one part of his body she can chop, and all her troubles will be over. She should thank me for refusing, therefore contributing to keep her marriage, lousy as it is. Behaving like this, I have to remind her that I'm much more of a hero dead than a coward alive, but I'll be not departing this world without leaving some precious gifts behind. If she threatens me again, I'll have to complain to the Police. And I've got a statement from the PORTUGUESE POLICE where they make clear why they do hate hysterical women who threaten peaceful citizens.
.