.
My blog is not a diary, so I don't keep everything I write. That's why my readers visit me everyday, and those really interested do it in the morning and in the evening. Why? Because there are posts I don't keep for long (days) or even hours (very rare, but possible).The other aspect is that I change or add the text, so you should get a feed to see the updated version.
So it happened that on the 14th of March I rewatched Mel Brooks' film Young Frankenstein and I posted about the importance of Igor in the tragedy of the good Doctor who created a monster he couldn't control. Today I rewatched the film, and everytime I do it I see new traits in the character Marty Feldman portrayed so well. As my previous post was deleted, here is this deserved new one.
Igor is the most trusted servant of the Doctor and that's the beginning of the tragedy, because he is not trustworthy at all, as he does everything the other way around. In the beginning, it looks like there are two Igors, but soon we discover there's only one. The Doctor trusted him to get a genius brain for the Creature, and he got an abnormal one. The Doctor trusted him to deliver a love letter to his beloved Elizabeth, and he gave her another letter instead, in which his master dismissed one of his servants. The result is that the Creature turned into a monster and Elizabeth never wanted to talk to the Doctor again.
And here is the truly interesting nuance of the character: is he doing it on purpose? is he jealous of his master? is he doing it alone? or is he simply evil? or perhaps just a plain idiot? I look again and again into his eye-gor and I still cannot find the answer. Can you?
.
.
