.
Hades, god of the underworld and the dead, wanted the innocent goddess Persephone for himself. So, he abducted her, raped her and forced her to live with him in Hell. She was miserable and fought all she could against his power. He did his worst to keep her there. When he realised he had to let her go, he tricked her into eating a pomegranate. At her wits end, she fell for it. She was then forced to marry him and to stay with him during one quarter of the year.
I found a wonderful painting and text about this theme in the following link, to contemplate while I'm praying to Zeus for deliverance and going on a strict no fruit diet:
P.S. 1 July:
Persephone had the power of her mighty goddess mother on her side. Otherwise she never would have seen daylight again. Still, Hades was able to disobey Zeus.
That's the thing with the Devil: one should never trust him or make deals with him, no matter how altruistic they are, i.e., one should never taste the pomegranate. I never did and I pray to Zeus/God I never will. I trust my beloved with my life: only he can save me from this daily suffering. And everyday I love him a bit more than the day before.
P.S. 2 July:
Persephone was alone. A woman needs a man to defend her from other men, even in the world of the gods.That's what men are for, in the first place: to let the others know they'll pay for any aggression against their women. It's a male, a territorial thing, as old as mankind. Why am I still alone, my love?
.